Photo byĀ Siora PhotographyĀ onĀ Unsplash

I am at that ā€œI donā€™t want to read anything other than for pleasureā€ and ā€œdonā€™t make me write anything originalā€ point. I was really good over the holidays, reading academic articles daily, but I have hit my saturation point. So now I am setting myself a firm schedule of what I have to do and when to get myself back on track. If I donā€™t fulfill my obligation, I canā€™t eat or drink anything. Yup, it’s weird, but it works for me! And I could stand to lose a little weight. šŸ˜€

What I did find an enjoyable readĀ  this week were two articles gleaned from other sources. One was written on January 10th by Kia Lang: https://www.techlearning.com/opinion/is-virtual-reality-vr-a-reality-in-the-classroom. Google is pulling out of VR because their funding has expired. They do not see a future for smartphone-based VR in a box. ā€œThe current uptake of VR in schools is gaining good speed, but this is simply NOT comparable to the quantity of business Google expects in the consumer space.ā€ ā€œthe strength of education content developers such as MEL Science is based on their starting out as science education companies, not VR developers. Itā€™s not about VR, itā€™s about using the technology for education to enable students to learn knowledge points better by interacting with otherwise invisible micro-level processesā€.

The other was Leanneā€™s suggestion of reading https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/30/thinking-about-the-social-cost-of-technology/. Basically, people need to keep upgrading and learning or they get behind on tech. It has interesting opportunities for those working with older people. I have friends who are not keeping up on tech and therefore cannot exploit their phoneā€™s usability. It isnā€™t about open digital online education at this point, because these people are not willing to spend the screen time to learn, but they will spend time talking with someone to figure it out/learn how to do it. An interesting conundrum to ruminate upon.